Start Your First Knitting Or Crochet Project
by Heena Patel on Dec 04, 2021
If you are keen about learning to knit / crochet, take the leap, dont think twice! A few things that you should remember, for the courage and motivation:
- Anything you learned to do ever, at first seems difficult, but dont give up. Rome wasn’t built in a day!
- Choose 1 single simple project that is quick enough to finish – like a hat / cap / beanie, a granny square, coasters, etc. anything small.
- A finished project is the biggest motivator
- A long project on the other hand will drain you, as it may seem like its taking forever to complete.
- Do not pick up too many projects at the same time out of excitement. This will only over-whelm you and you may feel like giving up.
Now what should you go for:
- Choose a project that uses thick needle / hook 4.5 mm or 5 mm or above
- Choose a yarn that is thick enough for you to see, and how your hands maneuver the strand as your work the magic! Worsted, aran size or thicker or 5 ply or thicker
- Thicker yarns will help you appreciate the stitches better and even help you understand your mistakes
- Thick strand yarns with the right needle / hooks help finish your project much faster, et viola!
Practice makes perfect, so keep at it. Some tips:
- As you become more confident, you will start making projects that have patterns like – a variety of stitches, cables, bobbles, etc. In that case, always try and use single colored yarns.
- Single colored yarns help you see your stitches / patterns clearly, their beauty and also your mistakes.
- Multi colored hide the grace that you weaved with your own hands, and you may end up not as excited as you started it.
- If you are going to use simple stitches like single crochet or double crochet, just knit, just purl, or stockinette, then you may let a multi colored yarn play its beauty.