Start Your First Knitting Or Crochet Project
by Heena Patel on Mar 30, 2023
Take the plunge, don't think twice, if you're keen on knitting or crocheting! Here are a few things you should remember for courage and motivation:
- Everything you learn seems hard at first, but don't give up. Rome wasn’t built in a day!
- Choose one small project that's easy to finish - like a hat, a beanie, a granny square, coasters, etc.
- Finished projects are the best motivators. On the other hand, a long project will drain you, since it feels like it's taking forever.
- Be careful not to take on too many projects at once. You'll feel overwhelmed and give up.
What should you choose:
- Choose a project that uses thick needles or hooks 4.5 mm or 5 mm, you can also buy a beginner friendly crochet hook set.
- Make sure the yarn you choose is thick enough so you can see how your hands work it! Worsted, aran size or thicker. With thicker yarn, you'll appreciate the stitches better and even understand your mistakes better.
Yarns Weight 4
Yarns Weight 5
- The right needle/hook and thick strand yarn will help you finish your project faster, et viola!
Here are some tips:
- As you get more confident, you'll start making projects with patterns like stitches, cables, bobbles, etc. You should always use single colored yarns in that case.
- You can see your mistakes and your stitches/patterns better with single-colored yarns.
- Multi-colored yarn hide the grace you weaved with your own hands, and you might end up less excited than when you started.
- Use a multi colored yarn if you're going to use simple stitches like single crochet and double crochet, knitting, purling, or stockinette.