Knitted Crocheted Product Care
by Heena Patel on Oct 02, 2022
I often get queries on how to wash, dry and care for hand knitted / crocheted products or other woolens. Here’s what I do:
- Wash Dark colors separately. Most acrylics do not bleed, but cottons may do.
- Always use a laundry bag pillow cover in case you do not have a laundry bag.
- Always use cold water.
- Wash on the gentle / delicate cycle (or wool cycle or hand wash cycle, if your washer features these settings).
- Use gentle detergents like Ezee or Genteel
- Use Fabric Conditioner like Comfort
- Never Wring Out or Tumble Dry. Instead, press or squeeze out as much water as you can. Then, roll garment in a dry towel to remove excess moisture.
- Never use the Heat Dry option – To avoid shrinking or burning, don’t put delicate clothing in the dryer.
- To avoid stretching, don’t hang dry. Instead, lay wool items flat to dry on a fresh towel or mesh rack in a spot that doesn’t receive direct sunlight. Carefully adjust the shape of the garment to ensure it is evenly stretched as it dries.
When ironing a wool sweater, use the coolest setting and lay a thin cloth on top of the garment.
Hope this helps 🙂